Monday, December 24, 2007

Water and Electric to the House

The well-share has now been brought onto the property, with a functioning hydrant at the parking lot; as well as electricity, temporarily outside the house, both underground. Below is the trench that made it possible - water 5 feet down, electric 2 feet down, coming up from the neighbors':
The water hydrant and shutoff to the house.

When we get the addition finished, there'll be water and electric inside, but for now this is a great improvement. The weather has been VERY snowy, with about 2 feet of snow in the last month, delaying the process at every stage. I'd hoped to have the yurt up by now. Here's the yurt (ger, for all you Mongolians) being set up at my book premiere way back in June 2006 at the Taos Solarfest:


Before the yurt goes up, I want to construct a platform for it, to keep it warm and dry. This will be the next big push before actually building the addition - the ger will be my "construction trailer."

After putting in the addition footings, and the trenching and back-filling, we got another 2" of snow...

So, on Xmas Eve, I STILL haven't moved in, but I'm much closer. Almost all of my personal belongings are up there, except what I need to work on web sites and eat and sleep. In the next week, I need to put in some kind of cat door for Browser, and pick up a few bits of furniture, like a bed, table and chairs.

No comments: