Thursday, December 27, 2007

Back to it...

Christmas at Mark and Torre's was wonderful, the real deal, but my upcoming move to the neighborhood was always creeping into my thoughts. Gotta rent or borrow a truck to move the outhouse and the yurt. Get the refrigerator and range delivered and hooked up. The yurt platform!

About 2" or so of snow fell immediately after the dig, and yet ANOTHER 3" or 4" Christmas night... The most recent snow is waiting
up there now for me, armed with a new shovel and pushbroom.

Building is going very slow now that the ground is frozen - I'm hoping to somehow set up my Mongolian yurt for a little more living space while I wait out the winter.

We're going to focus on the yurt platform now - something fairly simple, screwed together, that could be dismantled and moved if I myself should move on someday. Legally speaking, I'm not supposed to be living in the house while it's under construction, so the yurt will be my "construction trailer."

The ground is frozen deeper every day - kind of discouraging - I can't imagine pouring the foundation in this cold, but apparently it can be done, with special cement and insulated blankets. Mark says we can do the whole foundation in one pour if we plan it right.

The woodstove is almost hooked up -
just need to screw it together and add the cap on top:

Spent parts of Xmas Eve and Xmas Day raking up after the Big Dig.
Here's the new hydrant and the water shutoff...

...and the place where there was a 5' deep trench 5 days ago:

...and this is the freshly dug foundation,
with electric water and sewer hookups ready to be integrated into the addition:

No comments: